Friday, June 14, 2019

Dark Arts Player's Companion v3.0

Dark Arts was first released on /r/UnearthedArcana almost exactly three years ago, on June 13th, 2016. Since then, the companion has been extensively updated and expanded. Many of the subclasses and spells have undergone multiple iterations, steadily improving their balance and wording.

However, I missed some balance concerns in previous updates, and in some cases I left features or subclasses too weak or just boring, making them unsatisfying to play. This update aims to change that, and finally make Dark Arts both fun and well balanced.

This is easily the biggest update to the companion since 2016. A lot has changed, and a list of all those changes can be found here. Included in that list is explanations of balance, so that you can see why I made the decisions I made. While everyone won't necessarily agree with my explanations, at least people will be able to see where I'm coming from.

Dark Arts currently contains the following content:
  • 3 Races
  • 14 subclasses
  • 1 warlock pact
  • 9 warlock invocations
  • 42 spells
  • 21 monsters
  • 3 monster templates
As always, feedback is highly appreciated.

Dark Arts can be found here.

2 comments :

  1. I love the concepts... Talk about pushing limits. My world is recovering from an undead apocalypse and as such it is quite possible for PCs to be Wights, Mummies, and Revenants. I will definitely be using the core ideas with changes based on my world. I like using negative energy to heal undead, it makes the cleric's lives harder and fits the alignment of the concepts.

    ReplyDelete